Posts Tagged ‘special blend’
Grown and produced in Japan, we are honored and delighted to offer this exceptional product, Mr. Itaru’s Special Green Tea Blend, “Gen Mai Cha”. The secret to getting great health benefits from green tea comes down to a single, simple concept…use the highest quality green tea leaves in order to maximize consumption of health promoting compounds. The search to provide the finest green tea to our patients at D’Adamo Naturopathic Associates culminated with our finding this special green tea. “Gen Mai Cha” literally translates as brown rice tea. It is a traditional favorite in Japan and combines toasted brown rice with the finest premium green tea leaves.
The history of green tea in Japan begins with the introduction of tea by Zen Buddhist monks in the 9th century. Because of its relative scarcity, only monks, members of the imperial court, and eventually, wealthy landowners were able to enjoy this prized beverage. The famous Japanese “tea ceremonies” evolved as a means of sharing this exclusive beverage. In the 18th century, novel processing and growing methods resulted in the introduction of green tea and its spread into all corners of Japanese society.
Green tea is actually the same plant as its more well-known cousin black tea; however, special processing retains a far greater antioxidant profile in green tea leaves, resulting in a far and away superior beverage for supporting health. Numerous scientific studies now document the tremendous benefits of drinking green tea. Some of the numerous health benefits of green tea include:
- Green tea provides powerful antioxidant polyphenols (estimated as 25X the antioxidant activity of vitamin E and 100X that of vitamin C)
- It promotes growth of friendly intestinal bacteria
- Green Tea decreases toxic bowel metabolites (like polyamines)
- Promotes cardiovascular health, prevents blood cell aggregation and improves cholesterol metabolism
- Inhibits toxin and carcinogen producing enzymes like ornithine decarboxylase
- Epidemiological evidence suggests regular consumption of green tea reduces the risk of many cancers
Mr. Itaru’s Blend is mildly caffeinated, but it is important to realize that many of the anti-cancer properties of green tea are lost if it is de-caffeinated.
MAKING GREEN TEA:
When making green tea it is not necessary or desirable to use boiling water. Moderately warm to hot water is best. Tea leaves should be placed in the water for about 30 seconds (45 seconds at the longest) and removed. Superior quality green tea should look light green when prepared in this manner.